130511undergrad-297

Inspiring Stories of Aspiring to Excellence

Dear Friends,

My first year as president has been a gratifying experience. Most recently, I was filled with great joy and pride as I presided over my first commencement ceremonies – Saint Joseph’s 162nd – on May 11.

A cloudy day could not cast a shadow on the spirits of 2,600 proud, accomplished Hawks as we celebrated their academic achievement and welcomed them into the Saint Joseph’s University alumni community. Our undergraduates were inspired to hear Elisabeth Hagen, M.D. ’91, who encouraged them to aspire to live greater. Among those graduating were three impressive young women, the first cohort of John P. McNulty Scholars for Excellence in Science and Math. It was a milestone that I was immensely proud to share with all the members of the Class of 2013.

Every graduate has a story. And for every story, there’s a source of inspiration that serves as a beacon of light to illuminate the path of professional integrity and personal and spiritual growth. In this edition of the President’s Report, we focus on three stories that are aglow with Ignatian tradition. Serving as wonderful examples of people who embody lives with and for others, these benefactors made a philanthropic impact that enabled Saint Joseph’s and our students to aspire for excellence.

In each case, our featured donors – Anne Welsh McNulty, Mike Morris ’56, and John R. ’60 and Maryanne Post – recognized an opportunity to provide the thought leadership and resources to enable Saint Joseph’s students and faculty to live greater. Their creativity and commitment to the value of our Catholic, Jesuit education inspire the educational experience of our students – today and into the future.

I’m grateful to these and every one of our donors who continue to support advancing Saint Joseph’s mission. I hope you will enjoy reading these inspiring stories as much as I enjoy sharing them with you.

Blessings and best wishes,

C. Kevin Gillespie, S.J. ‘72

President